(As it relates to Educational TechnologyThis is a small visual sampling of some good reads.
With a quick search on Amazon, you will find a long list of books related to Educational Technology. Authors from all over the world are sharing their insights and inspiration. Often you can find authors that will really challenge your thinking, ask you to step out of your comfort zone, and learn new tools. As you will discover my list is far from expansive. Once you do your own searching you will discover that you can branch out into several areas related to Educational Technology. For example, a search I conducted awhile back brought me to Daniel Pink’s work and I have enjoyed his work ever since. Many of my purchases have been made via Barnes and Nobel because I have a Nook. The good folks at B&N have now made a Nook app for my Ipad and cell phone!
First list below is a list of digital resources for connecting to other professionals. Beneath that you will find a list of professional development books.
Personal Learning Networks (PLN’s)
- Twitter: I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again. Twitter can be your #1 PD tool. To help you out a bit I’ve made a nice reference page to get you started with Twitter.
- Classroom 2.0
- The Future of Education
- The Reform Symposium. This is a fantastic conference conducted all online. Jan. 8th 2011.
Books to Find
- Blogs, Wikis, & Podcasts by Will Richardson
- Student Powered Podcasting by Christopher Shamburg
- Retool Your School: The Educator’s Essential Guide to Google’s Free Power Apps by James Lerman
- Multiple Intelligences and Instructional Technology by Walter McKenzie.
- Playing Games in School: Video games and Simulations for Primary and Secondary Education by Atsusi ”2c” Hirumi
- Information Literacy and the School Library Media Center (Libraries Unlimited Professional Guides in School Librarianship) by Joie Taylor
- Transforming Classroom Practice: Professional Development Strategies in Educational Technology by Arlene Borthwick
My Favorite Picks
- Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology by Collins and Halverson
- Understanding the Digital Generation by Jukes
- 21st Century Skills: Learning for Life in Our Times by Bernie Trilling and Charles Fadel
- Teachers as Technology Leaders: A Guide to ISTE Technology Facilitation and Technology Leadership Accreditation
- Security vs. Access: Balancing Safety and Productivity in the Digital School by Robinson, Brown, & Green
- The Case for Constructivist Classrooms by Brooks
- Digitales: The Art of Digital Storytelling by Porter
- Safe Practices for Life Online: A Guide for Middle and High School by Fodeman and Monroe
- Teaching with the Brain in Mind by Jensen
- Web 2.0 How to for Educators by Solomon
- Project-Based Learning: Using Information Technology by David Moursund
- Reinventing Project-Based Learning: Your Field Guide to Real-World Projects in the Digital Age by Boss, Krauss, and Conery
On My Personal Nook
- Drive by Daniel Pink
- (Sample of) Why Don’t Students Like School
- Three Feet from Gold by Lechter
- (Sample of) A Whole New Mind by Pink